Friday, January 13, 2012

‘I will continue as an ABFSU member’

0 comments
 

Friday, 13 January 2012 18:37 Mizzima News


(Interview) – All Burma Federation of Student Unions (ABFSU) member Honey Oo, 25, was released on Friday from Lashio Prison in Shan State. In 2008, she was a member of a group who reformed the ABFSU. Mizzima talks to her about her experience in prison and the future.

ABFSU member Honey Oo. Photo: aappb.org
ABFSU member Honey Oo. Photo: aappb.org
Question: When were you released?


Answer: We released at around 8:30 or 9 a.m.

Q: When did you know that you would be released from prison?

A: This morning, a female prison ward official told us to pack.

Q: Did you need to sign any agreement?

A: No, I did not have to sign any agreement.

Q: How many years did you have to spend in the prison?

A: I was sentenced nine years and six months to prison under the Association Act. I had to spend 4 years and three months in prison.

Q: Were you moved around?

A: I had to move from Insein Prison to Lashio Prison. In the interim, I had to stay at Mandalay Prison temporarily.

Q: Lashio Prison is very cold. How did you pass the days as a woman?

A: There were not many problems. I would like to say one thing for the sake all female prisoners, not just for me.  A female prison staff member often swears at prisoners. She usually uses rude words. She is Than Than Zin. Although she did not harm us physically, she used very rude language.

Q: How is your health?

A: I have to take medicine for stomach illness. My home is far away from the prison, so they could not support me with enough food. I cannot eat some food, so I encountered difficulties.

Q: What do you feel now?

A: I’m happy. I’m happy because all were released.

Q: Will you return to politics?

A: I’ll continue as an ABFSU member. As a member of the ABSFU, I will do everything I can for students. Thanks to all.         

Leave a Reply