Wednesday, September 28, 2011

‘Chest in the front, back in the back’

0 comments
 
Wednesday, 28 September 2011 11:49 Myo Thant

(Interview) – One of the participants in the demonstration in Rangoon on Monday, marking the 4th anniversary of the “Saffron Revolution” in 2007, talked with Mizzima about why the demonstrators tried to hold a prayer session at Sule Pagoda. The participant, Win Cho, who ran unsuccessfully in the 2010 election, also responded to criticism of the march. Reporter Myo Thant talked with him about national reconciliation, the impact on the probable release of political prisoners and why some people saw the march as counterproductive.

Protestors say 'loving kindness' prayers on the platform near the Meteorology and Hydrology Department on Kabaraye Pagoda Road in Rangoon on Monday, September 26, 2011, to mark the fourth anniversary of the 'Saffron Revolution.' The protesters were stopped and dispersed by police as they attempted to go to Sule Pagoda. Photo: Mizzima

Question: Why did you decide to march to Sule Pagoda to mark the anniversary of the “Saffron Revolution”?

Answer: In fact, I went to an anniversary ceremony led by Naw Ohn Hla held east of Dagon. There I learned that they planned to conduct a prayer meeting. According to their plan, they would go to Sule Pagoda in three buses to pray there. At that time, I decided to help them make the programme successful and peaceful. I didn’t lead the programme or organize the programme.

Q: You said you joined the programme to ensure it was peaceful. Did you expect resistance from the authorities?

A: As far as we knew, there is a provision in the 2008 Constitution, article 354, that gives everyone the right to peaceful freedom of assembly. I tried to stage a protest in front of the town hall with my colleagues on June 5 to call for releasing all political prisoners. The authorities told us at that time that we couldn’t stage a protest there because that is still being deliberated in Parliament. So before issuing this rule, I thought I needed to help control the crowd as much as I could. I joined the group as a former political candidate who accepted the 2008 Constitution and contested in the 2010 general election.

Q: How did the security agencies block your way?

A: We turned to go to Kabaraye pagoda road from North Okkalapa. Then the traffic police stopped our buses to inspect the vehicle license. Then the police colonel said that our buses could not run as chartered buses without going on their original bus routes. They refunded our money. Then we had to go on foot because we could not hire other buses at that time. Even so, we could be arrested if we assembled in groups of more than five persons. So we worshipped and prayed on the Kabaraye pagoda road platform. Then we dispersed.

Q: Did the police turn out to stop you in force?

A: First, police major Maung Soe came with only two police cars and then many more cars and police personnel joined them.

Q: Who were some of the people involved in the demonstration?

A: As far as I know, there was Myo Khin who was recently released from Myitkyina Prison, Tun Tun Naing who is my colleague in a workers’ solidarity group and was released by amnesty (remission), Naw Ohn Hla and Wei Lu from the campaign to release political prisoners. I don’t know the other people.

Q: What was your objective to mark the anniversary?

A: We didn’t try to stage a protest demonstration at all. We arranged to visit Sule Pagoda by hired bus and pray there. We went there only for a prayer meeting. We didn’t go there for a protest demonstration. We just expressed our feelings, not to make demands for what we want and what we don’t want. It was just a prayer meeting.

Q: Some people have said that the government does not want to release political prisoners because of its fear of such demonstrations. Could such demonstrations affect the release of political prisoners?

A: I took part in this, but it was not my planning. At the same time, I take full responsibility for any mistake, if any. I won’t pass the buck. I joined this movement because young people urged me to do so. They said please help control our movement. They requested that of me as a candidate in last election. So I helped them.

Q: Some people said this was not an ordinary movement and must have had some foul play or other intention behind it. What is your comment?

A: I know about this. Dr. Than Htut Aung (the CEO of Weekly Eleven) can’t support it fully, and he said the foul play behind this incident must be exposed. I appreciate his frank and clear comment. But I’d like to say please let everyone express their ideas in order to establish a democratic country. The water in the stream was already muddy before we waded through.

What if somebody suggest Aung San Suu Kyi may not agree with this type of demonstration now?

A: It’s not like that. I think Aung San Suu Kyi might have more interest in walking in our own way. She once said that she alone could not build a democratic country. That concept was wrong, she said. I just wanted to control the young people in this movement. If I am wrong, history will record it, but I worked with a clear conscience and with sincerity.

Q: What is your definition of national reconciliation?

A: I once said before the Constitution came into force and before contesting in the election that national reconciliation means dealing frankly and without suspicion between rulers and the ruled.

Q: Are you seeing any signs that the government wants more openness and frankness?

A: This is just a testing period. I assume everything will be okay if we tolerate each other, coexist in a friendly way and correct ourselves.

Q: Please tell us something about your political beliefs?

A: I think we cannot yet perform our political duty related to our political beliefs. We are just endlessly working on defending citizens’ rights because the 2008 Constitution came into force only in February 2011. Our people don’t yet enjoy the fundamental rights of citizens. It is difficult to talk about policy matters while we are still trying to exercise the fundamental rights of the people stipulated in the Constitution.

Q: Finally, how did the police and security agencies treat you?

A: It depends only on time, place and handiwork. The behavior must be changed when the situation has been changed. We can say they cooperated with us in this incident.

Q: Is there anything you’d like to add?

A: I’m trying my best. I might make mistakes. We had no cunning intention. There was no secret agenda, no influence or foul play intended. I have nothing to hide. I have only a chest in the front and a back in the back.

Leave a Reply