Monday, October 18, 2010

Voices from the electorate

0 comments
 
Monday, 18 October 2010 00:39 Mizzima News

Chiang Mai (Mizzima) – The following is a collection of opinions from a cross-section of Burmese society on the country’s present political climate and the upcoming national elections. Mizzima reporters chose the subjects at random.

Than Tun, Kyunbopin village, (between the Chindwin River and Pakokku Township) Pakokku District, Magway Division

“Since I have been listening to the BBC, VOA and RFA, I know about the election. The people have always been exploited by village leaders and leaders of the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP). I didn’t go to the polling station when the 2008 constitution referendum took place because there was no truth in it at all. At that time I heard that village leaders via a loudspeaker threatening villagers. The chairman of the village, Ko Sein Hlaing, said that if villagers voted ‘no’ they would be punished with a one-year jail term. That is why all villagers needed to vote in support of the referendum.”

Ravekarwin, singer, Rangoon

“My hope is that the new government will create a better situation by addressing social needs such as education, social affairs and economics. I’m willing to vote for the party that can guarantee the things I mentioned.”

Female former staff member of a government employee co-operative

“I’ve decided that I’m not going to vote for any party. I’ve no plan to go to the polling station since the laws are not fair. All villagers around me have been organised to vote for the Union Solidarity and Development party, but they can’t force educated people like me the same way. People who’ve not been educated well and who might succumb to threats will be the only ones to vote for them [USDP]. The voters who are going to vote for them are actually people who misuse the nation’s money and property.”

Male resident, Nyaungoo District, Pagan Township, Mandalay Division

“In my area, the USDP has been canvassing by delivering T-shirts and hats. For me, I’m not going to vote because none of these guys is any good. My family will also not go to the polling station. All these guys have been lying and cheating the national budget! I did take a hat and shirt when they offered it to me because they are free.

Female merchant, Kyaukpataung Township, Mandalay Division

“There will be no reason to vote. I’m not going to vote for anyone and I’m also going to tell those around me that there’s no one to vote for.”

Chatgyi, restaurateur, Saku Township, Magway Division

“They [pro-junta social organisations] gave eye treatment for the whole of Minbu [Township], including villagers from Saku Township. They also treated us for any diseases. For those who needed an operation or spectacles, they would be offered their needs and fed free meals. They told us that all government sectors had been constructing dams, schools, reservoirs, bridges and power plants.”

Ko Thet, Pagan Township

“All the guys who are going to compete in the coming election are Pagoda Affairs management members. All these guys have been cheating the people by stealing money related to donations for the pagodas. Think of that! These guys are going to try to be leaders of the people! What will be the future of our nation? For me, because I’ve no idea who I would vote for, I won’t be going to vote. Since a ballot should come from my heart, I shouldn’t vote for a meaningless person. Not voting is my right. For people in cities there’ll be no problems with boycotting the vote, but people from remote areas have to go and vote because they need to be wary of the authorities.”

Phyo Min Ko, Pwintphyu Township, Magway Division

“When the Union Solidarity and Development Party calls a meeting we can earn maybe 2,000 kyat (around US$2), but if there are many people we’ll only get 1,000 kyat.”

Male resident, Sittwe Township, Arakan State

“I am not so interested in the election. Some people say they are going to vote for Rakhine [Arakanese] parties in Rakhine [Arakan] State. Most people, however, aren’t very interested in this election. Everyone, though, wants change. If they are forced to vote, they will not vote for the USDP, and will instead vote for one of our two Rakhine parties.”

Female resident, Kyauktaw Township, Arakan State

“Some read newspapers, watch TV, buy and read journals, but for us, since we are villagers, we do not know very much. What is happening now is that in all villages, only the USDP is established.”

Leave a Reply