Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Chin to cast votes for ethnic parties

0 comments
 
Wednesday, 20 October 2010 11:37 Salai Tun

New Delhi (Mizzima) - Most of the seven Chin interviewees from five townships in Chin State were uninterested in the forthcoming election, but would cast their votes for Chin ethnic parties, they told Mizzima.

Female civil servant, Falam Township, Chin State

“Some of my friends went to the mock election but I worry that the votes in the mock election will be used as ‘ghost votes’. Political parties have been canvassing. They are the Chin Progressive Party (CPP), the Chin National Party (CNP), the Union Solidarity and Development Party (USDP) and others. I haven’t decided whether to vote or choose not to vote. If I decide to vote, I’ll vote for the Chin Progressive Party or the Chin National Party. Although I’m a government employee, I want ethnic Chin parties to win because I’m Chin.”

Young person, Hakha, capital of Chin State

“In my constituency, just the CNP and the USDP are standing. The people in Hakha are not interested in the election. I think the CNP will win in Hakha. I have not read the news related to the election. I want the election to be free and fair. If the election is fair, I will vote. But my name is not in the official list of my family’s household, so I may not be an eligible voter. If I have the chance to vote, I’ll vote for the CNP”.

Housewife, Mindat Township

“I have no feeling for the election. I can’t decide for which party my votes should go. Just a few parties will contest in Mindat. The USDP is also standing, but I don’t like that party. Nevertheless, I’ll vote in the election. I watched the political parties canvassing on state TV but I’m not interested in their policies. I think the election won’t make any difference for us.”

Female retail shop owner, Falam

“I like the Chin Progressive Party so I’ll vote for them. I like their policy to create a better Chin society but I’m not interested in the election. I think it will finish peacefully but I think that our lives would be better in a [truly] democratic system. That’s why I decided to vote. CPP [members] said they would try to improve our Chin State as soon as possible.”

Male retail shop owner, Teetain Township

“The CPP, CNP and National Unity Party (NUP) will contest in Teetain. I can’t decide which party deserves my votes.”

Male civil servant, Tonzang Township

“The junta specially arranged for their victory in the election, so even though the ethnic minorities set up political parties, they haven’t got a hope. Moreover, people are not interested in the election because the authorities forced the people to cast their votes for the USDP. As a government employee, I think I have to vote. I heard that all government employees must cast our votes for the USDP. I can’t resist their pressure, so I’ll cast my votes for the USDP … The CPP, NUP, and USDP are standing in Tonzang. If the election was free and fair like elections in India, I’d cast my vote for the CPP but the forthcoming election will not be free. I wish to achieve democracy and freedom of expression in our country.”

Housewife, Hakha

“I can’t decide whether I should vote or not. And I don’t know up-to-date information on the election. I’ve never thought about the polls seriously. I’m busy and don’t have time to think … I’m [also] not interested in it but if other people vote in the election, I’ll vote too. Even so, I don’t know which party deserves my votes. I didn’t attend any electoral workshop so I don’t know which parties will stand in my township. I like democracy and any idea that is good but I don’t know which party is good and I don’t think about it too much.”

Leave a Reply