Tuesday, September 21, 2010

PDP hold ‘first’ substantial political talk in Rangoon

0 comments
 
Tuesday, 21 September 2010 00:34 Mizzima News

About 50 people attended the seminar at about 1 p.m., most of whom went simply out of curiosity and to learn about electoral politics ahead of the first national polls in 20 years on November 7.

The party reported its “Political Knowledge Exchange” workshop a week in advance to the junta’s electoral watchdog, the Union Election Commission (UEC), and received its approval.

This seminar represented the first political gathering attended by this many people in Rangoon for the forthcoming elections.

“I am just an observer. I wanted to attend this kind of political seminar, whoever it is conducted by, because I don’t know for which party I should vote … I have the right to attend … and I’m not afraid,” Aye Sein, a Htaukkyant resident in his 60s, said.

The attendees were very interested in one of the party’s policies, which was to call a parliamentary review of the country’s media freedoms.

“We need to have media freedom. Every political party should try to obtain it. I’m a journal seller so I’m very interested in the party’s policy,” an attendee said.

Leave a Reply