Friday, April 9, 2010

Two NLD township leaders freed

 
Friday, 09 April 2010 22:39 Myint Maung

Mizzima (New Delhi) - Following the completion of their prison terms, the Burmese military junta released two National league for Democracy (NLD) leaders of Bogalay Township.
The released political prisoners are Aung Khin Bo, Chairman of Bogalay Township (Irrawaddy Division) organization committee of the NLD and Mi Mi Sein, the Joint Secretary. They were freed on Friday morning.

Aung Khin Bo was released from Thayet prison and Mi Mi Sein was released from Insein prison.

“U Aung Khin Bo was released this morning. He is on his way and will be in Rangoon office tomorrow,” a party spokesman, Ohn Kyaing, said.

A total of 300 prisoners were released on April 9.

“I was released at 11 am. They released me because I completed my prison term,” Mi Mi Sein told Mizzima.

Aung Khin Bo and Mi Mi Sein participated in the Bogalay market protest against mounting fuel and commodity prices and were imprisoned in September 2007. They were charged with violation of Article 505 (b) of the Penal Code upsetting public tranquility and violation of Article 143 of the Penal Code - unlawful assembly and sentenced two years and six months.

“I was ill in prison and needed medical treatment. I arrived in the prison on September 10, 2009 and was in the hospital of the Insein prison. On September 18, they told me if I signed bond 401, I would be free. I refused. I believe that we were sentenced even though we did not flout the law so I refused to sign the bond and therefore I had to serve the full prison term,” Mi Mi Sein said.

She said she supported the decision of NLD leaders, not to re-register the party because the electoral laws of the junta are unjust.